Gaming laptops are very expensive when you’re purchasing a new one. But, buying a used gaming laptop can bring a difference in your budget and some people also say that buying a used gaming laptop is good for the environment because it reduces the production of new laptops which result helps in carbon emission. But buying a used gaming laptop isn’t as cheap as it seems to be. Buying them can be a risk, you could get stuck in paying more, even equivalent to getting a new one. So, the question is, is buying a used gaming laptop good or not?
In this article, I will discuss all these issues.
Table of Contents
- What is the Difference Between a New and a Used Gaming Laptop?
- Should You Buy A Used Gaming Laptop or Try to Find One on Sale?
- What Happens After You Buy a Used Gaming Laptop
- The Pros And Cons Of Buying A Used Gaming Laptop
- How to Buy a Used Gaming Laptop and What are Some Tips for Avoiding Scams
What is the Difference Between a New and a Used Gaming Laptop?
Used Gaming Laptops:
A used gaming laptop is a pre-owned laptop that has been previously used by someone. This can be due to its being returned, or it could have been sold by the original owner. The reason for selling it could be that they were upgrading to a newer model or just wanted to get rid of it. It must also be noted that some people will sell their laptops because of software issues, such as viruses or malware.
New Gaming Laptops:
A new gaming laptop is one that has never been used before, with no previous owner. This means that all the hardware and software are guaranteed to work without any problems.
Should You Buy A Used Gaming Laptop or Try to Find One on Sale?
The main difference between buying a used gaming laptop and finding one on sale is the warranty that comes with the purchase. When buying from an individual, you will have to pay for the warranty of the product, but when you find one on sale for less than $1000, you can often get a warranty included in your purchase.
If you are looking to buy a used gaming laptop, there are some things that you should consider first:
- What kind of games do you play?
- How much storage space do you need?
- How much RAM?
- What are you going to use it for?
- What is the budget for your purchase?
- How much will you be willing to spend on a warranty?
What Happens After You Buy a Used Gaming Laptop
After buying a used gaming laptop there are some possibilities that you could find some issues in it after a while.
Things like broken screens, missing keys, or mouse pad issues are detectable right when you are purchasing it from an individual, some might also aware of these things.
But, software and internal hardware problems are not easy to detect such as, battery life, graphics card issue, and processor issues. These things are not easy to find out. So, it would be wise of you to take that laptop to an expert and let him figure out whether it is worth buying or not. Such as a guy who sells laptops officially.
If by not, taking these kinds of precautions you could end up paying for those repairs after you bought it, which in result will be equivalent to paying for a new one.
The Pros And Cons Of Buying A Used Gaming Laptop
Buying a used gaming laptop is a great way to save money on a new machine. However, it can be difficult to know what you are getting into. The pros and cons of buying a used gaming laptop will help you decide whether or not to buy one.
The Pros of Buying A Used Gaming Laptop
- You can get a machine for much cheaper than new.
- It’s easier to find the perfect laptop for your needs because there are so many options out there.
- You can find someone who wants to sell their old machine and upgrade with an entirely new model in the future.
- You could have the same experience of getting a new one at a much cheaper price.
The Cons of Buying A Used Gaming Laptop
- The warranty might not cover any hardware problems.
- There is no guarantee that it will not break down or stop working in the future.
- You might not get what you paid for as it could be stolen or damaged.
- There is no way to know how much usage it has had previously and what its previous owner did with it.
How to Buy a Used Gaming Laptop and What are Some Tips for Avoiding Scams
Buying a used gaming laptop is not as difficult as you might think. Just make sure that you do your research beforehand and follow some common sense tips to avoid getting scammed.
Tips for Avoiding Scams:
- Check the seller’s feedback on eBay or Amazon and make sure they have a lot of positive feedback. If they don’t have any, contact the seller and ask them why their feedback is low or find another seller who has more positive feedback than this one.
- Never send money through Western Union or Moneygram unless you know exactly what you’re doing and who you’re doing it with.
- Avoid buying a laptop that needs repair. The laptop might be in good condition, but the problem you are having is going to cost you more than the laptop’s price tag.
- Don’t buy anything that is too cheap or too expensive because either one of those will probably end up as a scam as well.
- If they are asking for so much money the price would have to be higher, it is probably a scam.
- When buying an item on eBay or Amazon, make sure you are buying from the real seller and not one of their “shill” accounts.
Buying a used gaming laptop is beneficial in an economical way. But, previously owned things do come with some drawbacks.
I have shown you how you can take some precautions when you’re buying a used gaming laptop which will save you from getting scammed and paying for such repairs which result be equal to paying for a new one.
Buying a used gaming laptop is not bad for one who is low on budget but not buying the right one is bad.