If you’re in an environment where you’d require to login to a pc multiple times during your work, it would be irksome for you to type long passwords every time. Though long alphanumeric passwords would ensure better security, they would undoubtedly waste some time in the long run.
Table of Contents
- Advantages of Rohos Logon Key
- We are setting up a USB Drive to log in to Windows.
- Setting up your USB
Rohos Logon Key is free software that lets you assign a USB drive as a key for logging into your pc. This utility makes the logging in / out process in windows snappier.
Using a USB drive to log in to windows would also help you when you require to provide a hardware-based locking system or when you’d need to let someone else use your pc while you are away and you don’t want to let them know your windows password. This will be the case if you’ve used the same Windows password for the other sensitive accounts you own online/offline.
You would also have the option to log in to windows by entering the user account password manually, while the software allows you to log in via a USB drive.
Before using, it would be better to know the advantages of the software as this is something that concerns the security of your pc.
Advantages of Rohos Logon Key
- The system would be protected even when Windows is in safe mode.
- You don’t need to remember the password. But it is better to ensure that it’s written down somewhere if you encounter any issues with your USB drive.
- The password is not stored in the USB drive in open form and is copy-protected and encrypted using the AES-256 bit key.
- Supports Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, and Windows 2000
We are setting up a USB Drive to log in to Windows.
After the installation, Run Rohos Logon Key to bring up its window. If you are using the free version of the software, you’d see Setup USB Key & Upgrade.
Setting up your USB
- Click on Setup USB Key To start the process.
- You’d be prompted by the application to enter the windows user account password once. Keep an eye on the USB drive letter if you’ve multiple purposes plugged onto your pc.
- After entering your user account password, press Setup USB Key
- The application would assign the particular USB drive as a login key to your system and would popup a message upon successful completion.
- You may test it now by disconnecting the USB drive from your pc and pressing Windows key + L on your keyboard to lock your system and plug the USB drive again to affirm the login to your pc.
Rohos Logon Key is available as a free download. However, it also offers a paid version that has advanced security features such as the secure two-factor login, access restriction to pc based on the USB key, Emergency logon to help you if you lose access to the PIN code or your USB drive.
And here you’re done!